The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Worked on swordfighting ms again. Picked up where I left off yesterday and cut, cut, cut description, trying to make the story follow the characters rather than telling what they did. Hmm, that's not a good way to put it. I mean I tried to let the broader story-action fall into the background and accompany the characters as their immediate actions and thoughts let us get to know them, and hopefully those actions and thoughts laid enticing hints that make you want to find out what the characters are about to do. That's the idea, anyway--I know it's not working yet, because it couldn't possibly be, not at this early stage. And at the end I got a little confused about what I was heading toward and what all I'd just said. That usually means I lost focus and put in unnecessary stuff. But it's still a d*mn sight better than it was two days ago, even if nobody but me could tell from looking at it.

Blog Archive