The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Monday, June 1, 2009

I have been churning out reading passages for w-f-h. Suddenly on Friday my mind went blank and I forgot how to do them. I had fallen into a rhythm and gotten pretty quick about it, but suddenly I hit this wall and my brain went ham-handed, so to speak. This happened once before with some little paragraphs I had to write to spec, so it's not like I was unfamiliar with this particular snag. Still, I tried to force out the passage I was working on. Of course it wouldn't come. I rewrote and rewrote, and it still sucked. Finally I gave up and walked away. Yesterday I sat down to it again, and wrote it easily. My head had needed a break to regroup, and so it took one, whether I wanted it to or not.

I see this happening, too, with bigger projects. I see it happening with other writers as well. Hit a wall, get frustrated because you're still eager to work on the piece, back off, then later when you come back it's ready to go. The conscious writing mind can only do so much before it quits on you. I have no idea why this is.

Blog Archive