The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Had a thought re. YA writers who think there was no YA in the 70's, 80's, or even, g*d forbid, the 90's. These comments aren't from lack of writing experience, they're from lack of reading. From lack of being in bookstores and libraries during the 70's, 80's, and, g*d forbid, the 90's. Even if you were too young for YA, the sections were right there by the kids' sections.

Also had a thought re. w-f-h. I need to stop leaving in stuff that I know is iffy. It's unprofessional because the piece just gets sent back for rewrite and I end up wasting everyone's time. While I'm writing, it's always in the back of my mind: "Okay, if I was a __grade boy and hated reading, what would grab my interest against my will?" So I keep putting in stuff that I know might bother some parents, which means it's going to be a no-no as far as the publisher is concerned. This morning I've wasted everybody's time and have to go find something else to take the place of a cannibalism/Donner party mention.

Blog Archive