The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Got a couple hours of work in. The ms feels too loose and draggy, but I'm not going to worry about that until it's so boring that it brings me to a halt. There is always the possibility that once it's a first draft, I can go back and trick it up and make it more grabby just by sheer force of craft. I remember I was getting so freakin' bored with Repossessed and knew it wasn't pulling me through, and at some point I went back and inserted a ticking clock. In that case it was a sense of "Uh-oh, he's in trouble, because the powers that be are about to come get him!" Of course, they weren't, but I used that because it looked to me like if I didn't, everybody who tried to read the book would fall asleep in the middle of it. I know I was falling asleep while trying to write it.

It would be nice if you could just write what you loved and your love meant that everybody else was going to be as interested in it as you are, but unfortunately that's not the case. I guess maybe that's one of the points of having books and movies: they don't reflect real life at all because they don't string out with lots of non-related cr*p in between the good stuff. They sometimes pretend to reflect real life, but really they encapsulate whatever it is they want to say in one carefully constructed, digestible, palatable, and hopefully intriguing dose.

And I hope that this ms's laxness and tendency to amble along is something that can be remedied with deliberate craft, but I fear it may not be. I may end up seeing that I'm not telling the story correctly and that I have to overhaul the entire structure. Yes, the whole stinkin' thing.

Fingers crossed for the craft fix.

Blog Archive