The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Monday, September 22, 2008

pludging

Didn't really do any writing yesterday. Family stuff, plus there are some writerly obligations coming up that I have to get ready for. Today I am plugging, plodding, trudging--pludging--along, not in the later chapter with the scene-setting, but in the earlier chapter that establishes characters, relationships and motivations for that later bit. And may I just say, Ugh.

I'm used to secondary characters who don't have to be in sharp focus 100% of the time because they are in service to the MC's story. They have their own real, full lives, but they can be like the guy at the edge of a Degas painting that's half cut off while the ballerinas are in the middle doing their thing. I hadn't realized till now that even though I work hard to use my secondary characters to fullest extent, they're still not extensively developed. And this ms is a real beeyotch because every time I slide over somebody just for a second to concentrate on somebody else, I accidentally drop one or another thread (plot, character, or theme) and get off track.

Blog Archive