The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Feeling uneasy about my WIP right now; I want to print out the first section and see what it looks like (I'm afraid it's not good). But first I've got to get the story to a certain turning point, otherwise I won't be able to see the big picture about how it's moving and flowing. I need to try to get a feel for this whole first section at once.

The transitions in this kind of ms are made with white space rather than words. What that means is the flow from scene to scene has to be absolutely smooth; the reader has to ease from one page to the next without having to stop and think or get reoriented. In regular prose, I have to work hard to stop with one idea or hook then immediately lay the groundwork for the next. This is one of my huge weaknesses as a writer; it does not come naturally, takes a lot of time and effort, and is usually not the fun part. But the tradeoff for not having to do transitions is that there's no slacking; to me regular transitions can be a little mushy and vague compared to the nailed-down scenes they connect. In verse, or in cut-line prose, or in whatever it is I'm doing in this WIP (no idea what it's called) there can't be any mushiness. I have to go from meat to meat without any fat, gristle or bone. Just solid, pure-D protein all the way.

Huh. I think this post gives the illusion that I know what I'm doing. I do not.

Blog Archive