The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Been sick. Still sick. Will try to write today anyway. I need to figure out how to meld my usual approach--character-driven; I write scenes then figure out where, if anyplace, they go--with this more plot-driven project. It's becoming very clear that I can't just dive in like a plotter and force it out, because it doesn't ring true or deep. I would probably be okay with it not connecting to the reader on a deeper emotional level, but it's flat out not going to work if it doesn't ring true enough to grab the reader.

If I can figure out a way to work from both the plot and character angle at the same time, I might not have to worry about the middle at all, because there's a good chance it will take care of itself. I've got characters who will provide plenty of conflict amongst themselves, and if I pay attention and let those conflicts do what they're capable of, the middle should not sag. At all.

Right now I think I'm going to look at my turning points--there must be at least seven or eight of them, in varying degrees of importance--and think about ways they might play out or what might set them off. Right now they're mostly expressed through people sitting around talking. Obviously I need to step up my writing skills.

Blog Archive