The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Note to self re: Beast or God again
Was watching FullMetal Brotherhood this morning (it seems to be nearing its conclusion), and was struck by a comment from Roy Mustang. He said that he needs Lt. Hawkeye in order to survive, because she keeps him from being reckless.
This got me to thinking about my WIP. One idea I'm loosely exploring is why you may be better off (in a survival/subsistence situation) with a mutually dependent community of caring people around you, rather than being entirely out for yourself--either needing no one, or aligning with a group whose members use each other on a strictly practical basis. I've been thinking mostly in terms of shared burdens, emotional bonds that make people protect each other and work together more efficiently to survive.
But now I'm also thinking that if you have other people around you whom you care about and trust, and who are equally invested in you, then you've also provided yourself with outside context for your own behavior and choices. Without that community you're essentially functioning in a vacuum, and are more likely to lose a sense of proportion about whether you're acting wisely or not. The people around you can keep you grounded by saying, "Hey, you need to calm down," or "That's a little reckless, isn't it?" or "Yes, you're completely justified in worrying about this situation," or perhaps most importantly, "Remember what's really important to you."
I'm thinking maybe a man who has no need of society because he is sufficient for himself isn't necessarily that way because he's a beast. Maybe sometimes trying to be that way is what turns him into a beast.
That actually dovetails very nicely with what's going on in the book, and I think it also may help me pin down the exact actions that'll take place in the climactic scene where my MC makes his story-capping choice. Whatever that is.
- December (7)
- November (4)
- October (7)
- September (10)
- It occurs to me that this is a really stupid story...
- Yesterday I wrote a new piece of dialog where a se...
- Gobi the Gerbil 2007-2011 Requiescat In Pace ...
- The he's-already-dead-scene has definitely become ...
- Had about 20 minutes to write; started changing a ...
- Forgot to say, the character who had the broken le...
- Major, major sketching-out, here. Shifted the s...
- Note to self: think about book X
- Note to self re: Beast or God again
- Hmm, so I'm thinking that every writer may have a ...
- Yesterday was very productive. I found myself sett...
- Yesterday, smoothed out some scenes in an attempt ...
- By sheer coincidence, the lower-limb theme continu...
- Yesterday, wrote a couple of sentences describing ...
- Whoa. Big surprise. I sat down to dash off a few p...
- Took the pieces I did yesterday and started turnin...
- Wrote two quick things, for fun and to keep a crea...
- Was thinking out a certain portion of the backstor...
- Getting busy again here, which is probably good be...
- Note to self: beast or god
- I worked on the falling scene, and quickly saw tha...
- Ha! I was doing more organizational thinking, stre...
- Note to self: entering the Sahara
- I'm to the point where I need to pull back a littl...
- A very nice morning. First news of the day is a wr...
- Spent today moving pieces around to try and get a ...
- Hmm. I haven't been pleased with myself for contin...
- Worked on chapters 9, 10, and on into 11. Around 1...
- Yesterday I told myself I was going to write more ...
- July (13)
- June (9)
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (1)
- February (7)
- January (7)
- December (8)
- November (1)
- October (6)
- September (4)
- August (4)
- July (9)
- June (17)
- May (3)
- April (9)
- March (11)
- February (8)
- January (10)
- December (15)
- November (21)
- October (18)
- September (21)
- August (21)
- July (31)
- June (37)
- May (24)
- April (20)
- March (27)
- February (15)
- January (32)