The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hmm. I haven't been pleased with myself for continuing to go over already-written scenes and chapters, smoothing and revising for flow. But this morning I was talking to some writer friends about scenes with action, and saying how my current theory is that to write those kinds of scenes properly, you (meaning I) have to go over them in layers. I've got to ground them, do the blocking, do the dialog, and go through the scenes (in my head) from the POVs of the MC and of each main secondary character. And every time I add a layer, it recasts all the previous layers, which means I've got to go back and redo them all over again, one by one. Repeat ad nauseum. But I'm starting to realize that if I don't do this, the scene is "off" and nothing coming after it will be right.

I said all this, then realized maybe that's why I can't let these recent chapters go, but keep gnawing on them like a dog with a bone. Maybe my gut senses a lack of direction right after these chapters, and is driving me to get a better grip on them. Maybe. Will have to see, I suppose.

Blog Archive