The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Ah, I'm so aggravated over other people's blogs that I can't focus. "So stop reading them," you might say. But I have to do something to work around to writing, and reading cr*p online can actually be the quickest way to do it, if I don't get into researching historical tidbits or seeing who was in such-and-such movie and who was the guy who played his best friend and what other movies was he in. There are a very limited number of blogs I look at regularly, and coincidentally they're the ones that annoy me the most.* No, wait--it's not coincidental at all, because when someone stops consistently annoying me, I read them less and less regularly and eventually un-bookmark them, because what's the point?

Okay, I think I've calmed myself down. So. Yesterday I put chapters 4 and 5 back together, and it wasn't as horrible and pointless a session as I was dreading. I don't remember what I did, exactly, but I remember that I felt okay when I was finished.

I also realized (again) that sometimes it's best to get something right before jumping ahead (or moving on), because it's easy for me to pick up a little scenelet and get it all nicely worked out--then realize that the scenelet would never have happened in the first place. Without the stuff ahead of it being right, I pick up an idea that sounds reasonable and seemingly ought to come next--but it isn't reasonable and wouldn't come next.

OTOH, if I always go in order and everything has to be exactly right before I move on, I might as well sit in front of the computer and hit myself repeatedly in the head with a shovel instead, because I'll be EFFING MISERABLE either way, and at least the shovel will give my arms a good workout.


*Except Pepys**--but he's getting pretty bad, too, because his behavior re. women is getting worse and worse as he gets more money and climbs the social ladder.

**http://www.pepysdiary.com/

Blog Archive