The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Monday, September 14, 2009

I've been consistently freaked out by how much work I'm doing on the days when I'm stuck in the library with son #2's laptop. I sit there in a study carrel with nothing to look at but the screen from before 8 a.m. till after 12:20 p.m.. There's no way to check e-mail, no way to go off on a net-surfing tangent. No dogs, no cats. I can't get up and wander around or even go get a drink of water unless I pack everything up and carry it with me. So I sit and work. And it turns out you can wrap your head around quite a sizable piece of your ms in that amount of time, when there's nothing to do but concentrate on it. However, I think I might go nuts if I had to do it more than once a week. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't last that long if I didn't have to wait for son #2 to get out of class. If it was up to me, I'd probably leave whenever I felt restless. But with forced compliance, I have to ignore the restlessness and bring my attention back to the ms. It's a choice between that or staring at a wooden carrel wall for a few hours.

Blog Archive