The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Got family stuff done, will work on former GN tonight. However, while walking Tyson I was thinking about the swordfighting ms, and sort of taking in the fact that the plot might not actually get started till halfway through the book. I thought, "That's a lot of setup--half a book--and how on earth can it not be boring?" Then I thought, "The story doesn't start halfway through the book, because the story isn't about what happens." The story--including the stuff that starts farther in (that used to be the beginning)--is this about MC's maturation, disillusionment, etc. His father getting killed isn't setup that spurs him to later action.* It's part of what changes him. What I was thinking of as setup needs to be considered with the same weight as the plotline that kicks in later. Every event in the so-called "setup" needs to be given the same consideration as events that happen down the road. I need to look carefully at each piece as I work on it; I think some may still be transitional/informational, but now I feel that plenty of them are going to be more concrete steps on the character's inner journey.

Now, I may have been already halfway thinking this way in the back of my mind, but I probably need to be more deliberately aware. What I need to do--probably--is to keep the big picture of the character's arc in mind as I work on these things, and not focus so much on how he felt/thought last chapter and what changes now that so-and-so happens in this chapter and how it leads to next chapter.

I doubt I'll absorb this idea enough to put it in play for a while; knowing me I'll have to realize it several times before it sinks in. I can't word it clearly enough yet for my mind to internalize what it really means as far as hands-on daily work. But thinking it is a good start.


*Well it is, but I need to stop thinking of it that way because it's causing problems.

Blog Archive