The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Didn't get much writing time today. Still not sure about pacing. I was thinking about having a couple panels of quick backstory in the middle of this first scene, but I don't know if I can do that. In prose I would insert just a few lines to hint at something, bring it up briefly here so that I could go into more detail later when the reader is more firmly grounded in the story. But with visuals, I don't know. It feels like I'd be breaking completely away to a flashback, which would be a bad idea this early in a prose novel. Is it bad with a GN? I don't know. Could be it depends on how it's handled; could be it never works at all.

I guess I need to spend some time sitting down and looking at what needs to be in this first part, at what will give the reader the info needed to carry on, as well as raising enough questions to pull him/her along from page to page. Not to mention all the world-building that has to be done.

If I was an artist I bet I'd already have some ideas for how to juggle all this. But I'm not, and I don't.

Will try again tomorrow.

Blog Archive