The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Now I need to settle in and write an average of 2000-2500 (or more; more is even better) words per day on the w-f-h novel.

Today: 2000+

Also decided to change up the ending of chapter five of the dystopian ms, in an effort to keep it moving. I went in and quickly cut out one short scene, cut half of another, and ended on the gun going off. Will have to see later what effect that gives; no time to read it over for flow right now.

The w-f-h novel shouldn't be too bad; I like the character, and probably will have to watch that I don't wallow in too much character-driven stuff, as this is meant to be an action-filled midgrade for boys. Also must try to stick to schedule since packets will overlap, and sons' school starts in mid-August, which always seems to use up days of time, although I'm never quite sure why.

I'm hoping that the looming humiliation of not meeting this now publicly stated words-per-day goal will drive me to keep up. Because otherwise I'm going to be an utter mess by the end of August, putting in sixteen hour days and longer (!) to get the job done. Don't ask how I know that this is what happens when I don't keep up. Some of my writing history is better left unexamined.