The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

No writing today. However, I did get some work done last night. Mainly I moved pieces around on the former GN, trying to sort them out so they make sense in a bigger picture and build a story. This is work as usual for me, it's how I've written novels from day one--I get chunks of story, but then have to figure out how to line them up thematically and plot-wise. I don't know why this is more comfortable for me--and less mind-numbingly boring--than just sitting down and writing a story straight through.

Anyway, I think perhaps it's best to try and think about all this without fretting over the framework needed to hold it together (framework in this case meaning out-of-pov pieces that provide foreboding and context). It occurred to me last night that I don't have to have framework between every section. What I could do is have long "chapters" composed of related sections, and just have framework between the "chapters." But I may need to get the story into place and get a grip on the bigger picture before I can see how the framework needs to function, exactly--how often it needs to be there, for one thing.

Blog Archive