The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Monday, April 20, 2009

I kinda figured this was going to happen sometime soon, but I thought it might wait a few more weeks or even months. But nope, today it hit: sudden desire to play around with the former GN.

I had been thinking that a way to solve one of my problems was to undercut unwanted impact of later scenes by introducing the reader to the mindset of this particular world early on. I vaguely figured I'd insert little references to soften the reader up gradually, so by the time we reached the later scenes the reader would be able to take them more in stride.

Another problem was that I'm not being hard-edged and realistic enough. The whole thing needs to be grounded more in the real world rather than a mythical hazy place. I've got the MC's immediate surroundings pretty well set, I think, but what's outside has never been anything but a vague cloud. Once I realized that the harshness of the real outside world didn't mesh with the MC's day-to-day, I came to a grinding halt. I had thought that this difference was sort of a point of the ms, but now I'm thinking that this problem and the above problem could be linked.

So I'm going to see what happens if I bring in some stuff from out of the MC's pov. This has not worked before with this ms, but before I was doing it with an angry feminist agenda. This time I want to come at it from a slightly different angle. I'm going to play around with it and see what happens. Although I should not be working on this at all today; I shouldn't be working on my own stuff anymore this week. I've got deadlines. But I need to do this, just a little bit anyway, and see what it looks like.

Blog Archive