The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Yesterday I worked on the former GN most of the day. At the moment, however, I can't even remember what I did to it. All I know is that near the end of my writing time, I started reading over parts that don't need to be worked on at the moment, tweaking and generally getting into a nonproductive mindset where I know what feeling I meant to get across and therefore assume that it is indeed coming across in the writing. That's like sitting around patting yourself on the back for deeds that haven't been accomplished. I really don't have time to waste on mistaken self-congratulations right now.

However, I don't feel too bad about it, because I worked my butt off for many hours before that, and made some fairly large structural changes. Large for this stage of the game, anyway.

I was thinking again that if this had been a regular book, I'd have been long done with it by now. The weird format means that every tweaked thread stirs up more changes than it would in normal prose. Every time I rethink something, I have to fix all kinds of stuff down the line. I'm going to be 90 years old by the time I finish it, and that's if I'm lucky and my mind holds out till then.